From the pilgrims' aedicule to walks in unspoilt nature Poggio Moiano, the so-called "Land of the churches", unveils its beauties, history and traditions.
Where is it?
Poggio Moiano, counting a population of 2,651 inhabitants, rises 520 m. above sea level, on the slopes of Mount Miano, about 30 km. away from Rieti.
What to see?
The entrance to the village is characterized by the aedicule of Santa Liberata which, in ancient times, was the destination of thousands of pilgrims worshipping the image of the Saint lived in the Middle Ages and considered the protector of children suffering from serious diseases. Right behind it stands a beautiful stone arch, which was surely used as a town gate. The central square of the village is overlooked by the parish church of San Giovanni Battista that was rebuilt after the war, in 1953. About a kilometer away from the centre of the visitors can admire the unmissable rural Church of San Martino, dating back to the 11th-12th centuries, originally belonged to the Benedictine friars and today still belonging to the abbey of Farfa. The facade is built of local stone but the interior stands out for two frescoes (1556) depicting San Martino and Sant'Antonio Abate. To visit the church, restored in 1972 and still preserved in good condition, it is necessary to obtain the permission of the parish priest of the village. Two other rural churches are present Outside the urban area: the church of San Sebastiano, dedicated to the patron saint of the village and built in 1527, and the church of Sant'Anna, built in 1760 and used only once a year, specifically on 26 July. Very interesting are the ancient facades of the historic center, now restored under the invitation of the municipal administration, and then decorated with murals representing scenes of village life. For hiking lovers the walk from Poggio Moiano to Cima Casarene represents un unmissable opportunity to reach the northernmost peak of the Lucretili Park area. Starting from Fonte Castello, a couple of kms. from the village, it is necessary to climb about 400 meters along the west side of Monte Pendente, before enjoying and extraordinary view over the Monti Sabini.